Sunday

Real Simple: good food & good design

Welcome to Eat&Design. 


I can't wait to share good looking design, and yummy food with you. This weekend I spent making over 50 pages in a publication I am working on, and had a lot of great food that I made for myself on my new attempt to stop spending money eating out. 


So much graphic design and food in one weekend inspired me to blog about it. So here goes...


Real Simple. One of my favorite magazines of all time. Not only did their first issue ever catch my eye with its clean typography, and beautiful photography, but its guides to life, funny stories, random facts, and great recipes have kept my attention. My mom and I often fight over copies of backed issues. 


This week I decided to try a new recipes from their very pages: Huevo's Rancheros. 


Huevo's Rancheros by Real Simple. Check out original recipe here: http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/huevos-rancheros-00000000055009/index.html

This stuff was tasty. And super different than anything I've ever made before. Simply brush corn or flour tortillas lightly with olive oil, bake for about ten minutes on 400f. Mix cumin & lime juice into some black beans, and serve it all up with fried eggs, feta cheese, avocado, red onion, cilantro and salsa. 

My tip: use pico de gayo instead of salsa....thats what I was wishing mine was the whole time. But this was seriously tasty. Glad I tried it. (And sooo cheap! 'Cept the feta)

Okay, moving on... Design. Here's a sneak peek for all you MNU students out there. This is page three of our yearbook coming out on May 2nd. Illustration by Ryan House... 


In case the title of the page is confusing you, this year's book is called "Home." Each division of the book is a room of a house, with feature stories called Real Rooms, which are features on the actual spaces around campus that we will remember for the rest of our lives. A special thank you to Ryan House, for creating five original illustrations, and beautiful cover art for this project!

I'll leave you with this quote, that has inspired me to never get lazy on designs:

"Try to make every assignment better than the last. When you finish a project, look at it, hard. scrutinize, nitpick. be critical. do more. do better. don't become complacent. ever. complacency is death."


Kelly 

No comments:

Post a Comment